Thursday, July 19, 2007

Harvest Time Approaches...Perhaps a Trout Lake Wedding?


Masters of War

Come you masters of war
You that build all the guns
You that build the death planes
You that build the big bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'
But build to destroy
You play with my world
Like it's your little toy
You put a gun in my hand
And you hide from my eyes
And you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
You lie and deceive
A world war can be won
You want me to believe
But I see through your eyes
And I see through your brain
Like I see through the water
That runs down my drain

You fasten the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you set back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion
As young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear
That can ever be hurled
Fear to bring children
Into the world
For threatening my baby
Unborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins

How much do I know
To talk out of turn
You might say that I'm young
You might say I'm unlearned
But there's one thing I know
Though I'm younger than you
Even Jesus would never
Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
Is your money that good
Will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could
I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
And your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket
In the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered
Down to your deathbed
And I'll stand o'er your grave
'Til I'm sure that you're dead

Bob Dylan 1963

This song seems just as pertinent today as it was 44 years ago. I heard it on two separate occasions this week on my IPod while stringing tomato plants. One of the versions was live Bob Dylan from back in the day and the other was Pearl Jam from their album of cover songs. It has been stuck on repeat in my mind so I am including it for all ya'll readers to mull over in your heads. Ya hear that old Georgie Jr.? Jesus won't even forgive you. Maybe it's time to start hittin' the bottle again.


Anyway, on to more pressing matters. It has been a little while since I last posted mostly because I have been using all my computer time trying to sweeten up the sound on my Smashing Pumpkins bootleg. Frustrating to say the least but I finally have about a third of it in audible form. The rest shouldn't take as long, now that I have the procedure figured out.


Work on the farm has been tough and repetitive but we have finally started harvesting. I have also been disc-ing and plowing with the tractor so that is pretty cool. It seems to me that I am probably the only farmer on the block jamming Wilco inside the tractor. I am willing to bet everybody else is jamming modern country music, which churns out inert piece of shit songs such as "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy."

The cherry tomato varieties are ready to pick; there are not enough to sell yet so Kelly and I have been pigging out. We have a bunch of different cherry varieties; some gold, some almost white and others that are almost black. The black ones are the best and they taste more like grapes than tomatoes. In fact I bet if a person didn't know what they were they would say they were grapes. I hope to buy a wine kit soon and make some tomato wine, which is suppose to be indistinguishable from grape wine. I have already bought two different books on wine making and have been reading up on the subject.


Speaking of books, at the moment I am in the process of reading this book called the The River Cottage MEAT Book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. It can best be described as the meat bible, telling you everything you would ever want to know about any cut of meat from any of the main meat-providing animals. It also gives you a philosophical look at eating meat, where to buy ethical meat and so on. I recommend it to everybody, including vegetarians as they might find some of the arguments interesting. It is also half cookbook which is pretty sweet.



Now for the big news (none of this should be taken too seriously as our plans have been changing weekly, but time is running out and Kelly and I are now 99.9% sure that this is the plan). The wedding will most likely be held at Manhattan Beach Lodge on Big Trout Lake in northern Minnesota. For those of you who don't know where this is, it is where my family owns two cabins. Kelly and I figure that this spot will probably be the most fun (watersports, beach, Victor's, etc...) out of any of our ideas and since we are probably going for a casual beach theme it seems to fit. Pig Roast rehearsal dinner, Beach Boys cover band, late night Leviosa and Friends jam at Vic's? Who knows, the possibilities are endless, so stay tuned for details. Peace, Danny Wilder Culpeper, VA


Josh- The Pumpkins played music from all their albums with a lot coming from Gish and Siamese Dream. Yes, we made it to Vic's and yes I hope I can see it when it is Rockin' and Rollin'. Judging from the last paragraph of my blog I think I will see that day. Also thanks for the Manhattan Beach idea, it should prove to be a blast.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I would have to say I'm a tad jealous about your wedding plans. It is impossible not to love Trout Lake.

I like your idea of encompassing live music into Vic's. That will definitely bring a new energy into Victors. Your Dad had mentioned that he probably will be building a bar off the Wilder boathouse. Walter and Rosie's Trout Lake Beach Saloon maybe here soon complete with swings for chairs ala Mexico! Stay tuned.

I'm excited to give a listen to the new Pumpkins. Take it easy and keep cool.

Cheers,

J-